Guide 1 Cultural Center
We invite you to join us on this tour.
Chiapa de corzo is a small Mexican city located in the center of the state of Chiapas, on the southeast of México. It’s located 15km from the center of Tuxtla Gutiérrez. Not only is it the first city established on the state and the first capital, it’s also catalog as a magical town thanks to its broad cultural and folkloric gamut from the region as well as possessing a parisian style on their plazas from the historical center and the excellent warm weather it has.
It’s a 1.24 km route, where the principal attractions form the Great Heroic Chiapa de Corzo will be visited. In this guide you will find a great portion of the culture of Chiapa de Corzo and all of its historic value.
Click here, visit the map
ANGEL ALBINO CORZO STATUE
In 2007, a commemorative statue was built in the Plaza de Armas, which pays homage to his "merits achieved in the glorious battle of October 21, 1863" against the conservative forces. There lie the remains of the heroes of the battle of October 21, 1863.
General Ángel Albino Corzo Castillejos
Coronel Salvador Urbina
General Julian Grajales Castillejos
Coronel Cenobio Aguilar Osorio
Capitan Luis Vidal Escoba
PLAZA DE ARMAS
The Plaza de Armas of Chiapa de Corzo consists of 17,000 m2. It is surrounded by a commercial corridor where you can buy various local crafts. There is the clock tower, the Town Hall, La Pochota and La Pila.
Built in 1562 by the Dominican friar of Portuguese origin Rodrigo de León, according to historians and archaeologists, it is unique in Latin America. It is "budéja" style which is a mixture of Baroque and Mudejar. It is made entirely of bricks which, in the form of pointed pyramids, simulating the royal crown jewels. The turret on the east side, which is attached to the body of the monument by an arch, simulates the handle of the crown. It is located in the Plaza de Armas.
Colonial Fountain "La Pila"
Former convent of Santo Domingo
An architectural jewel of the sixteenth century. Its construction is attributed to the Dominican friars Pedro de Barrientos and Juan Alonso. The building is built in Mudejar style; its walls have decoration in high relief with the preponderant use of ajaracas, with flower motifs and acanthus leaves.
The building, which has two patios, was restored between 1999 and 2002, to be converted into a community and cultural center, in addition, the Laca Museum, founded in 1952, was moved to the interior and occupied most of the upper floor.
This museum contains around 450 pieces from various parts of Mexico and Asia, mostly made in the twentieth century. The complex also includes permanent and temporary exhibition halls, along with an auditorium and various types of workshops.
BELL TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF SANTO DOMINGO
Town Hall of Chiapa de Corzo
Inside the Town Hall we can appreciate a representative mural of the city, since in this one, the history of the foundation of the heroic City of Chiapa de Corzo is explained.
Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán
The temple is an architectural work that marks the splendor of the sixteenth century, with its Gothic, Renaissance and neoclassical inspirations; owner of one of the largest bells in the country and America, which is located in its main tower or Bell Tower.
The main entrance is on one of the short sides of the rectangle that make up the three naves and on the opposite side is the apse that contains the altar.